9.29.2004

Private spaceflight with SpaceShipOne

I have been following this pretty closely, being a pilot, and being interested in space. Also I am interested in Burt Rutan and his whole history with aviation. Interestingly enough, Paul Allen (Microsoft) and Richard Branson (crazy rich successful business dude, Virgin Atlantic) are also involved.

Having seen their prototype or whatever you want to call it, a Rutan Long-EZ with a rocket engine attached to it, at an airshow a while back, and now seeing an actual spacecraft designed and built, is pretty fantastic. I can't wait to see what happens in like 5 years.

It turns out this is the first of two flights in 14 days required to meet the requirements of the X-Prize, I think (I need to read the articles more closely.) Pretty amazing that this is happening already.

LINK for news about the latest flight.

No comments: